Monday, May 12, 2014

A Special Anniversary

This last weekend was a special anniversary for me.  Two years ago,  when I was living in Festus Missouri, I participated in the relay for life marathon.

For those not familiar with Relay for Life, it is a 24 hour marathon where people who are survivors of cancer gather to celebrate and to run to raise funds for cancer research and treatment.

Family members and friends also participate in the event and raise funds by getting sponsors, having events before the relay and having people pledge to pay them per mile they run, among other means.

For me this was significant because several members of my family had suffered from cancer and one, my Aunt Dorothy Richards had died of cancer.

I managed to stay on the track for nearly 22 hours and I can not tell you how many miles that was.  

I worked out nearly every day for two hours to get into shape to participate.

I still do what I can to support this relay yearly.  If you have the chance do so.  Become involved, run the relay, sponsor an event make a difference and help someone else.  Maybe it will be you who will be helped by those you helped.

Find out what you can do for next year, it is never too late or early to help out.


No comments:

Post a Comment