Saturday, February 27, 2016

Boldly Going. Into the heart of Downtown Springfield.





The following photos I have taken from on line sources, and are not my own.  I am using them because I have no means to posting my own photos currently.

Today I did something that I love doing, when I move to a new place, I did a walk about of the downtown area.  This is something I normally do on my first few days, but with the weather being so devastatingly cold and me focused on finding a job, this was the first time I had the opportunity.

Downtown Springfield is a mix of older building from the mid 1800s to mid 20th century.

 

One of the center points in  Springfield is Heers loft, when this was first built Heers was a major department store until the 1980's they set the tone and this building in downtown was their main store.  When they went out of business as a department store, they revamped and turned the building into Luxury Lofts.



Many of the buildings have that by gone era feeling, even if they are being used now as a restaurant or night club, there is just that sense of timelessness because of the architecture.

 ... missouri th queens downtown springfield missouri life history museums

A combination in downtown is the new History Museum that is to open sometime this summer  which is alongside the Fox Theatre which has been converted to a museum.  The Fox originally was the site of the Original Heers' store before a fire, Heers moved across the street, tore down the old courthouse and built their store.  The Fox was a movie thatre from about 1906 until the last few years.  It had two more fires and was rebuilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment