Friday, September 13, 2013

I WAS A FRANKENBERRY KID

When I was growing up, monsters were our friends...  No seriously, long before there was Hotel Transelvania there were Saturday morning cartoons with Frankenstein, the Wolfman and Dracula as cool fun dudes just trying to get along.

General Mills gm caught onto this train and introduced two cereals in 1971 that were yummy for the tummy but terrible for the teeth.  

These were Count Chocula (Dracula) and Frenken Berry (Frankenstein)  The cereals were promoted of course on Saturday mornings when every kid would see the commercial for the these cereals.


For me I loved the original Count Chocula and Franken Berry cereals, mainly because these were based on existing monster movies and I just loved the animated Dracula and Frankenstein monster in the commercials.

The cereals tasted like chocolate and strawberries and I used eat them right from the box.

I never got into Boo Berry that much, and by the time Fruit Bruit and Fruity Yummy Mummy came out and left the scene I had stopped eating the original cereals because they were no longer on the market here in Colorado.

But once a year, I will treat myself to Frankenberry and Count Chocula.  Mainly because General Mills only produces the cereals for two months a year now,

So were you a Frankenberry and Count Chocula kid too?

If so, here's remembering when cereals were fun and no one worried about us loosing our teeth because of too much sugar.

Here are the box covers as they originally were and are now.  The Count has gone through the most dramatic change, he was a little scary at first.







No comments:

Post a Comment