Tuesday, September 3, 2013

You know when you are getting old

I have noticed that some television shows that I used to watch all the time, and I am talking since I was six years old, I have outgrown them.

I decided to watch Gilligan's Island tonight, because I used to love this and would always get a good laugh or two from each episode.

Now it has been a while since I last watched Gilligan... it has not been on any of the local or cable stations here in Colorado for quite some time, I think it was sometime back in the late 1980's or early 1990's that the series was last aired.

So I tuned in, and watched about 2 minutes and turned off the set.  I said to myself, this is not as funny as I remember it, as a matter of fact, it is not funny at all.

I always loved Gilligan, because it was so innocent and I could relate to Gilligan.  But suddenly it just did not hold my attention.

Now this is just the most recent show I have found myself not enjoying.  I have tuned out of classic TREK, not because it is not well written, the stories are still some of the best fiction around, but they are feeling dated,

I find myself enjoying 1 Adam 12, Emergency and Selected episodes of MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.  

However I am finding myself more involved in Torchwood, the new DOCTOR WHO, Burn Notice and Pawn Stars, than a lot of the programs I have watched forever.

Now there are some older shows I still enjoy.  I am finding myself enjoying STAR TREK, The Next Generation a lot more now, than I did when it was first on the air.  I think this comes from the fact, that I am older and can understand the story lines better than when I was in my mid 20's.

Also Deep Space 9 is one that I enjoy, because this remains current because you can plug in the most recent war footing for the Cardassian Bajorian war and the complex stories that were built along this theme.

I just wish I could enjoy some of the older shows, and maybe eventually I will be able to again; or maybe I have just out grown some shows.

I will have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment